10.15.2012

Taunte Maria's Mennonite Restaurant ▪ Saskatoon, SK

8-1724 Quebec Avenue
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
306.343.3334

I really wanted to try a Mennonite restaurant while I was in Saskatchewan as there is a large population in the province. I was lucky enough to get a chance to have lunch at Taunte Maria's, only open for breakfast and lunch.

IMG_0637
Taunte Maria's Mennonite Restaurant.

With a large menu and so many things to try, I felt a bit overwhelmed. I decided to start with the kommst borsch ($3.95). Unlike the more commonly known Polish borsht, which is a beet soup, Mennonite borsch is a cabbage soup, whose origin come from the Mennonites in Ukraine and Russia. I enjoyed the simple cabbage soup. There was also a summa borsch with potatoes, onion, dill and sausage that I would try next time.

IMG_0641
Kommst borsch.

The reason I did not order the somma borsch was that I also ordered the Unkel Yakob ($5.95), a farmer sausage on a bun with relish, onion and zesty dressing. It was not what I expected at all. The sausage was clearly homemade and made a nice accompaniment to my soup.

IMG_0642
Unkel Yakob.

While in Saskatoon, I really wanted to try Saskatoon berries. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any. I even inquired at this restaurant for Saskatoon berry pie. No luck, but was convinced to try the strawberry crisp with ice cream. Yums!

IMG_0643
Strawberry crisp.

All the food at Taunte Maria's Mennonite Restaurant is simple homemade food, just the way I like it. The prices were good and the staff very friendly. I hope I get a chance to visit again and discover other Mennonite dishes.

Taunte Maria's Mennonite Restaurant (Quebec Ave.) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment