11.27.2012

Leonard's Bakery ▪ Honolulu

933 Kapahulu Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii
808.737.5591
website

We were ok with our light Korean BBQ dinner, because we had plans to have some hot malasadas for dessert. Malasadas are Portuguese doughnuts and are often made on Mardi Gras (instead of pancakes I'm guessing?). Leonard's bakery is one of the more renown spots near Waikiki. It's absolutely mandatory to stop there for doughnuts.

Leonard's Bakery Leonard's Bakery3
Leonard's Bakery.

When we arrived near closing time, it wasn't too busy. While E and Cee quickly made up their minds that they were going to get the chocolate filled ones, I quizzed the man behind the counter about which flavour I should pick between chocolate and the flavour of the month (I think it was pineapple?) - to which he responded "custard". Custard I ordered then!

It's only looking at the menu below that I realize that there were malasadas that had no filling, which are more traditional. I might have ordered those if I had paid better attention! Maybe next time!

Leonard's Bakery2
Malasadas menu.

When we finally got our malasadas, we were given two of each filling to try out: chocolate, custard, coconut and pineapple! How generous. That's a lot of doughnuts for 3 girls!

Leonard's - Malasads2
Malasadas galore!

The freshly made malasadas were still hot. They were just slightly crisp on the outside, with a coating of sugar. The custard filling was the right choice. Not too sweet but provided just enough smoothness against the soft and airy dough. I ran in to get some milk to gulp down with my malasada.

Leonard's Bakery - Malasada
Oh yeah, up close malasada.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There is nothing like a freshly fried doughnut. Shame on me if I stray from the homemade stuff! If Leonard's Bakery's store location is not convenient, find their Malasadamobile and try their malasadas. It's worth the extra time on the treadmill!

Leonard's Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment